MySecretGarden

U.S.A., Washington State. USDA zone 8b. Sunset climate zone 5

Peony 'Green Lotus' in My Garden


This peony was bought in Oregon in 2012. 
I was intrigued by its name. 
In May and June, I got to see its first, and so far, only flower.


The frilly flower looks very unusual. I would say it has something rebelious, dynamic and unconventional in it.
It also has some casual elegance in it and is so different from others.
I wouldn't describe the color of the petals as green but the green tint is certainly visible in the base of the bloom.
The pink toward the tips of its petals goes well with the Ceniranthus flowers surrounding it.
I like its deep green leaves too. They are noticeably thicker than those of my other peonies.



This is the plant description by Rarity Gardens (Mt. Hood, Oregon) from  whom I bought it:
(Roy Klehm 1995). Single, cactus-dahlia type flowers feature pale, pistashio green petals with brush-strokes of soft pink on the petal extremities and contrasting bright yellow center stamens. Mild fragrance. Deep green foliage and compact shrybby growth to 28". Outstanding heat tolerance and one of our most warm hardy peonies. Prized for floral design. Blooms midseason. Rare.



Doesn't the flower look exotic?



These are the requirements for growing this plant from  B&D Lilies:
Sunny, well-drained location, 3 to 4 feet apart. Can be left undisturbed for many years.
 In severe winter climates, plant with eyes 1-2 inches below surface of soil (then top with winter mulch);
 Zone 6-7, cover eyes with 1 inch of soil, and mulch lightly for winter; 
Zone 8 or 9, leave the eyes exposed to allow as much winter chill as possible, do not mulch around eyes. 
Not suitable for areas where winter temperatures rarely fall below 40 degrees F. or plants will produce plenty of foliage, but be shy about blooming.


Some sources describe this peony as very vigorous. So far, I see very modest growth. 
My plant has full sun, loose soil, but it's still very young.
The soil here is probably not perfect for it (it's not slightly acidic as they like but strongly acidic). 
I might try to add some lime (I'm not sure I did it before planting),
and also keep other perennials a bit further from it to provide good air circulation.
I know that the herbaceous peony might take three years to bloom profusely, and I am ready to wait that long.
It is worth it.



***Copyright 2014 TatyanaS

13 comments:

  1. An unusual and beautiful peony that is new to me. Wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This peony has a character! Thank you, Peter!

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. Thank you, Natasha! I'm glad I have it in my garden.

      Delete
  3. Wow, that is a beauty! It's like a rare gem, sort of a mutant. She is a lovely addition to your wonderful gardens.

    FlowerLady

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lorraine, thanks! Only one flower, but so beautiful!

      Delete
  4. I think it's gorgeous. I hope it grows well and is covered in blooms next year. I can only imagine how beautiful that would be.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Kathleen! It grows very slow, but I'll be happy to see even a single flower on it!

      Delete
  5. If I were to read your description: "rebellious, dynamic & unconventional" in any catalog I'd be sold.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha-ha! Ricki, thanks! I think I could be a good marketing person!

      Delete
  6. It is beautiful and truly exotic-looking! I like the part about heat tolerance. A peony for me!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Tatyana girl I was searching my peony (Green Lotus) on the web and you popped up !
    Glad to see another gardener I know that has this flower .. I had none the first year .. now two for it's second year .. sadly construction is going on with my flagstone paths so the flowers got a little dirty with gravel and stone dust ... but still so unusual and intriguing : )
    Joy

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by and for your comment! I appreciate your time! See you soon on your blog!

Blog Archive

Search This Blog

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

I'M GLAD TO SEE YOU!

Labels

Abyssinian Banana (4) Actaea s. (1) Agapanthus (1) Agressive plants (1) Alaska (8) Amaryllis (5) Aquilegia (1) Aralia (4) Arizona (1) Arundel Castle Gardens (1) Autumn (47) Bainbridge Island Gardens (8) Before and After (8) Berry (4) Bird Houses (1) Bloedel Reserve (1) Blotanical (3) Blue Poppy (2) Book review (1) Botanical Gardens (3) Bouquets (9) Butchart Gardens (9) California (3) Calla (1) Canada (2) Chanticleer Garden (1) Clematis (4) Coleus (1) Colonial Gardens (7) Conifers (3) Containers (22) Corydalis (1) Dahlia (5) Dan Klennert (1) Desert Landscape (1) DIG (1) Dogs (14) Dry creek bed (1) Duris Cucumber Farm (1) Elandan Gardens (2) End of Month View (12) England (16) English Gardens (2) Euphorbia (1) Eze France Exotic garden (2) Fall garden (19) Far Reaches Farm (1) Favorite plants (52) Favorite plants. Tree Philodendron (1) Fences (2) Foliage (7) Formal gardens (1) Foxglove (14) France (4) Frankfurt Botanical Garden (1) Front Garden (5) Fuchsia (8) Garden decor (3) garden design (1) Garden elements (48) garden rooms (1) garden structure (1) Garden Tour (1) Garden works (15) Gardening Tips (4) Gardens of nature (11) Gardens to see (113) Gardens to see (tours) (25) Geraniums (2) Germany (5) GH Garden Tour (7) Giveaway (4) Giverny (2) Gossler Farms Nursery (1) Grasses (8) Great Dixter (3) Greenhouse (2) gunnera (4) Hampton Court (1) Hawaii Garden (1) Hellebores (8) Herbs and Vegetables (22) Heronswood (7) Hidcote (1) History of gardening (11) Holidays (25) Hops (1) Hosta (4) Hydrangea (7) Illumination (1) Italy (12) Japanese maple (14) Kew (4) Lakewold Gardens (22) Lavatera (1) Lavender (3) Leucosceptrum stellipilum ‘Ogon' (1) Little and Lewis Garden (1) Lobelia tupa (2) Meconopsis (2) Melianthus major (2) Minter Gardens (1) Missouri Botanical Garden (1) Mount Vernon (1) My Garden (150) My Open Garden (4) MY PICTURE OF THE DAY (80) Neighborhood (9) NPA Open Gardens (13) NWFGS (29) Old Goat Farm (3) Orchids (1) Oregon (4) PalmenGarten (2) Pampas grass (1) Peony (6) Perennials (59) Plant ID (9) Poppy (5) Problem areas (3) Recipes (2) Rhododendron (5) Rock garden (2) Romneya c. (2) Sarah P. Duke Gardens (2) Serre de la Madone (Lawrence Johnston) (1) Shade Garden (20) Shayne Chandler Garden (1) Shrubs (11) Sissinghurst (9) Sky Watch (1) Slope garden (6) Slugs (3) Spring/Summer garden (141) Stachys (1) Succulents (9) Summer/Fall garden (74) Texas Arboretum (1) The Garden of Great Depression (1) Tree Peony (2) Trees (36) Trips (81) Tulip Festival (16) Uncategorized (7) Vegetable garden (4) Vegetables (1) Villa Cimbrone (2) WA (114) Weigela (1) Wells Medina Nursery (1) White garden (3) Wild animals (21) Wild flowers (16) Windcliff (1) Wineries (1) Winter and winter garden (54) Wordless Wednesday (31) Yang's Garden and Nursery (6)
Copyright 2009-2022 TatyanaS, MySecretGarden Blog



*