MySecretGarden

U.S.A., Washington State. USDA zone 8b. Sunset climate zone 5

Beautiful Spring at the Campus of the University of San Diego

Spring break is over. Friendly California pampered us with gentle sun, pleasant breezes and bright blooms that I still miss in my garden.
One of the pleasant surprises of our trip was discovering the beautiful University of San Diego (USD).
If you are visiting San Diego, I recommend touring the USD campus and enjoying the elegant 16th century Spanish Renaissance architectural style, beautiful gardens and views. 
These are some pictures from our tour.







Masses of daylilies in the Garden of the Sky.

Lily-of-the-Nile, roses, rosemary, bird of paradise, society garlic, trailing lantana, agave
are also growing in masses. 




The Garden of the Sea is a great spot to view Mission Bay and the Pacific Ocean.
With its reflecting pool, flower beds and sculptures, it's a wonderful place for meditation.


Copley Library



Bougainvillea, trumpet creeper, Japanese honeysuckle, Chinese wisteria, Carolina Jessamine 
and other vines can be seen on campus. 


Courtyard of Founders Hall






Annuals on campus include blue star creeper, lily turf, ivy geranium, periwinkle, small-leafed iceplant, etc.


Hughes Administration Center





Some of the trees planted  on campus:
white alder, king palm, floss silk tree, Liquidambar, magnolia, Lombardy poplar, California fan palm, 
Mexican fan palm, Canary Island date palm, evergreen pear, goldenrain tree, London plane tree, Italian cypress, rubber tree, Jacaranda, crape myrtle, Monterey pine, Chinese pistache, etc.

The Immaculata Church


Azalea, camellia, gardenia, Japanese aralia, sword fern, kafir lily, philodendron, star jasmine 
are among shade loving plants.




These succulent planters on the terrace stole my heart.






Among natives planted on campus are: Torrey pine, California sagebrush, California buckwheat, California poppy, wild lilac, rock rose, Catalina cherry,  California sycamore, coast live oak, lemonade berry, black sage, Mexican elderberry, coast barrel cactus.


I hope you enjoyed the pictures.
Here is the USD website.

***Copyright 2014 TatyanaS

18 comments:

  1. What a lovely trip! Thanks for sharing your pictures. I do like those huge succulent bowls. And all that blue sky! It must have been hard to come back to our dreary gray rainy weather.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Alison, it was nice to get some sun... and walk on the sandy beach every morning... and listen to the sound of the ocean... Hooray, we have a great weather today here in WA!

      Delete
  2. Lovely campus and great photos! I have a relative who lives in San Diego, and I'll have to remember to visit this campus if I travel there. Sounds like you had a great vacation!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beth, it's a good idea to visit the USD! I liked it very much!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful sky and beautiful pictures!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I enjoyed your virtual tour of this beautiful campus but am even more grateful that you brought the sunshine back to Washington with you! Hooray, this is my spring break week and I'm enjoying working outside!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow - that is one impressive campus! Gorgeous! I am impressed that the campus spends the money to upkeep the grounds so well - or at least makes students in their horticulture classes do it ;) I agree with you about the succulent planters. They are so beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Indie, I also was impressed with the variety of plants on campus! They do good job!

      Delete
  7. wonderful photos of this campus, love the sun lighting up the red leaves on the cordyline? Best Wishes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Karen, thank you. I think you are right about the plant.

      Delete
  8. I've never been to San Diego, but several friends and family members who have been there have said it's such a beautiful city. If and when I visit there, now I will have to include the University on my to-see list. Such beautiful landscaping, and I love the architecture!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Rose! Yes, the city and the USD are worth visiting!

      Delete
  9. I was fortunate to get to visit the city of San Diego a few years back. I was so in awe of the bird of paradise that was planted everywhere and blooming so beautifully. This campus is gorgeous. Not only the plantings, which are lovely, but also the architecture. Those succulent bowls are fabulous! I have a much smaller bowl, but one similar in shape - I think I'll plant it in succulents this year! Thanks for the ideas.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Holley, I also was admiring the bird of paradise!

      Delete
  10. What beautiful grounds to that university.and the building looks like a top class hotel. It's hard to choose a favourite plant, but like most of your followers my favourite is the succulent bowls, It's the first time I've visited your blog but I'll be back, there's a lot more I'd like see. I live in France so don't think I'll ever get to visit the USA.. I've just signed up for email alerts So I'll be able to join you on your visits to different places. Maybe you would like to join me on some of my wanderings in rural France and see my rustic garden .

    ReplyDelete
  11. If you had not told me where you were, I would have thought you were overseas on the Mediterranean somewhere.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by and for your comment! I appreciate your time! See you soon on your blog!

Blog Archive

Search This Blog

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

I'M GLAD TO SEE YOU!

Labels

Abyssinian Banana (4) Actaea s. (1) Agapanthus (1) Agressive plants (1) Alaska (8) Amaryllis (5) Aquilegia (1) Aralia (4) Arizona (1) Arundel Castle Gardens (1) Autumn (47) Bainbridge Island Gardens (8) Before and After (8) Berry (4) Bird Houses (1) Bloedel Reserve (1) Blotanical (3) Blue Poppy (2) Book review (1) Botanical Gardens (3) Bouquets (9) Butchart Gardens (9) California (3) Calla (1) Canada (2) Chanticleer Garden (1) Clematis (4) Coleus (1) Colonial Gardens (7) Conifers (3) Containers (22) Corydalis (1) Dahlia (5) Dan Klennert (1) Desert Landscape (1) DIG (1) Dogs (14) Dry creek bed (1) Duris Cucumber Farm (1) Elandan Gardens (2) End of Month View (12) England (16) English Gardens (2) Euphorbia (1) Eze France Exotic garden (2) Fall garden (19) Far Reaches Farm (1) Favorite plants (52) Favorite plants. Tree Philodendron (1) Fences (2) Foliage (7) Formal gardens (1) Foxglove (14) France (4) Frankfurt Botanical Garden (1) Front Garden (5) Fuchsia (8) Garden decor (3) garden design (1) Garden elements (48) garden rooms (1) garden structure (1) Garden Tour (1) Garden works (15) Gardening Tips (4) Gardens of nature (11) Gardens to see (113) Gardens to see (tours) (25) Geraniums (2) Germany (5) GH Garden Tour (7) Giveaway (4) Giverny (2) Gossler Farms Nursery (1) Grasses (8) Great Dixter (3) Greenhouse (2) gunnera (4) Hampton Court (1) Hawaii Garden (1) Hellebores (8) Herbs and Vegetables (22) Heronswood (7) Hidcote (1) History of gardening (11) Holidays (25) Hops (1) Hosta (4) Hydrangea (7) Illumination (1) Italy (12) Japanese maple (14) Kew (4) Lakewold Gardens (22) Lavatera (1) Lavender (3) Leucosceptrum stellipilum ‘Ogon' (1) Little and Lewis Garden (1) Lobelia tupa (2) Meconopsis (2) Melianthus major (2) Minter Gardens (1) Missouri Botanical Garden (1) Mount Vernon (1) My Garden (150) My Open Garden (4) MY PICTURE OF THE DAY (80) Neighborhood (9) NPA Open Gardens (13) NWFGS (29) Old Goat Farm (3) Orchids (1) Oregon (4) PalmenGarten (2) Pampas grass (1) Peony (6) Perennials (59) Plant ID (9) Poppy (5) Problem areas (3) Recipes (2) Rhododendron (5) Rock garden (2) Romneya c. (2) Sarah P. Duke Gardens (2) Serre de la Madone (Lawrence Johnston) (1) Shade Garden (20) Shayne Chandler Garden (1) Shrubs (11) Sissinghurst (9) Sky Watch (1) Slope garden (6) Slugs (3) Spring/Summer garden (141) Stachys (1) Succulents (9) Summer/Fall garden (74) Texas Arboretum (1) The Garden of Great Depression (1) Tree Peony (2) Trees (36) Trips (81) Tulip Festival (16) Uncategorized (7) Vegetable garden (4) Vegetables (1) Villa Cimbrone (2) WA (114) Weigela (1) Wells Medina Nursery (1) White garden (3) Wild animals (21) Wild flowers (16) Windcliff (1) Wineries (1) Winter and winter garden (54) Wordless Wednesday (31) Yang's Garden and Nursery (6)
Copyright 2009-2022 TatyanaS, MySecretGarden Blog



*